Every year the Pantone Colour Institute™ designates a Colour of the Year, to express in colour what is taking place in the global zeitgeist. The colour aims to capture a prevailing global mood or attitude. The selection process is a complex one and many emerging societal trends, from entertainment, to art, to sports will influence the choice of colour. Another key consideration is the relevance of the emotional symbolism and the inherent meaning of the colour, to the year it represents.
The Pantone colour chosen for 2014 is RADIANT ORCHID. What does this represent for the year ahead? A colour that is imbued with a harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid, is captivating and enchanting, and it reflects the following essence :
• it invites creativity, originality and innovation
• the regal purple, inspires confidence
• it possess a magical quality that draws you in
• it is exotic, and has a captivating, beguiling charm
• it is sophisticated and surprisingly versatile
• as is suggested by the name, it has a radiance, an effervescence
• it has rosy undertones that emanate great joy, love and health
Aren’t these great qualities to harness this year?
RADIANT ORCHID will be seen everywhere in 2014 across many design platforms, especially in fashion and interior design. Follow me as I look at how to incorporate this colour successfully into your wardrobe.